News & Updates
What We are Doing Now
- Fall 2018: Members of the Project Team are editing and processing images of materials scanned and photographed at the National Archives in Kansas City. The team has more than 4,800 images to work through.
What's Coming Up
- December 2018 to January 2019: We will continue editing and processing images and will begin planning the Spring 2019 meeting of the Community Advisors Council.
- Spring 2019: Members of the Project Team will return to the National Archives in Kansas City to scan and photograph additional materials related to Genoa.
What We've Done
- Fall 2018:
- Members of the Project Team attended the annual reunion of the Genoa U.S. Indian School Foundation in Genoa, Nebraska on August 11, 2018.
- The Community Advisors Council met in Genoa, Nebraska on September 28, 2018.
- In early October 2018, members of the project team attended the National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition’s first national conference in Carlisle, Pennsylvania and presented on the project's work.
- Spring 2018:
- We convened the first meeting of our Community Advisors Council at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln University Libraries.
- We presented on the project at the Nebraska State Museum's "Science Cafe" series, which was featured in a Nebraska Today news story.
- We hired project staff.
- Summer 2018:
- We made two trips to the National Archives in Kansas City, conducted research in the archives, and scanned and photographed 4,835 pages of materials related to Genoa.
- We held a training workshop with the developers of the Mukurtu content management system.
- We connected with the National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition about ways to support one another's work.
- We began building the project's infrastructure.
- We met with community members who contributed material to be included in the project.