News & Updates
What We are Doing Now
- August 11, 2018: Members of the Project Team are attending the annual reunion of the Genoa U.S. Indian School Foundation in Genoa, Nebraska.
- We are working to describe a small sample of documentary material from the National Archives in Kansas City to identify potential points of discussion with Community Advisors at our September meeting.
What's Coming Up
- Fall 2018: We will continue to describe material that we gathered at the archives.
- September 28, 2018: The Community Advisors Council will meet in Genoa, Nebraska.
- October 2-3, 2018: Members of the project team will attend the National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition’s first national conference in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.
- October 8-11: Members of the Project Team will attend the 2018 International Conference of Indigenous Archives, Libraries, and Museums, in Prior Lake, MN.
What We've Done
- Spring 2018:
- We convened the first meeting of our Community Advisors Council at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln University Libraries.
- We presented on the project at the Nebraska State Museum's "Science Cafe" series, which was featured in a Nebraska Today news story.
- We hired project staff.
- Summer 2018:
- We made two trips to the National Archives in Kansas City, conducted research in the archives, and scanned and photographed 4,835 pages of materials related to Genoa.
- We held a training workshop with the developers of the Mukurtu content management system.
- We connected with the National Native American Boarding School Healing Coalition about ways to support one another's work.
- We began building the project's infrastructure.
- We met with community members who contributed material to be included in the project.